3961 Jordan Street PO Box 301
South Heights PA 15081
PH: (724) 375-1303 FX: (724) 375-6020


Water Efficiency
CCR Reports
SWP Program


Companies have been sending letters to CHJA consumers pertaining to water service line insurance for a monthly fee. The decision to obtain this insurance is the decision of the consumer. CHJA does not approve or disapprove the practice of insuring water service lines or the companies that provide this service. That decision is made by the consumer.

How often will I be billed for water usage?
CHJA bills monthly to commercial, industrial and public services. Residential consumers are billed every three months.

What is the hardness of the water?
The hardness of the water is between 11-12 grains or 200 parts per million (ppm)

Does our water contain fluoride?
Your water contains a natural trace of fluoride of .24 ppm.

What activity in my home uses the most water?
Toilet flushing is by far the largest single use of water in a home. Most toilets use from 4 to 6 gallons (15 to 23 liters) of water for each flush. On a average, a dishwasher uses about 50 percent less water than the amount used when you wash and rinse dishes by hand if the dishes are not pre-rinsed and if only full loads are washed in the dishwasher.Without counting lawn watering, typical percentages of water use for a family of four are:

Toilet flushing 40%
Bath and shower 32%
Laundry 14%
Dishwashing 6%
Cooking and drinking 5%
Bathroom sink 3%

What if I have a water emergency?
Contact (724) 375-1303.

What can I do for rusty/discolored water?
Running the cold water until it becomes clear is recommended. Avoid doing laundry, especially with bleach, until the water is clear.

Who do I call if someone is using a fire hydrant?
During business hours please call the Water Department at (724) 375-1303. After hours you should call your local police department.

What is the procedure when buying/selling a home connected to CHJA water?
Please contact the business office at (724) 375-1303, Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 4:30PM. At least 48 hours prior to the closing date, so a final reading can be set up. Required information is as follows: date of closing (reading will be scheduled the day before closing) and your forwarding address so that the final bill or refund can be sent. The new owner needs to fill out an Application for Water Service and return to the office along with a copy of their driver's license and proof of purchase.